Always relegated to being just a hobby, painting has achieved a pivotal role in my life since April 2009. It is my tool to having a balanced life – it rejuvenates and unwinds me. It lets me be among more sensitive and extraordinarily gifted people. But that’s all for me. With my paintings, I hope to share with you an emotion, a mood, a story which you – the onlooker – continue when you let your inward eye complete the picture.
When I am not painting or sketching, I am either watching art, playing with my kids, solving engineering problems, gardening, hiking or swimming.
Education formal and otherwise:
- Scholarship and tutelage from Master Painter Jerry Stitt, May 2010
- Took my first watercolor workshop from watercolor guru, Mr. Alvaro Castagnet, April 2014 and 2016, followed by a week with Mr. Charles Reid in May 2015 and Mr. J. Zbukvic in September 2015.
- Rest of the painting study is self motivated but highly influenced by the art I see and the scenes I come across.
- Formal education- M.S. in Electrical Engineering, Stanford University
Workshops conducted by me:
- 2017, October 20-21, Blurred Lines: An extended version, San Francisco.
- 2017, September 22-23, Blurred Lines: An extended version, San Francisco.
- 2017, July 26 – 29, Blurred Lines: Atmospheric Watercolor Sketches With Edge Variety, USK International Symposium, Chicago
- 2017, May 13, Urban Landscape: How to do a quick capture.
- 2017, May 11-12, Urban Landscape: How to do a quick capture.
Awards & Exhibits:
- 2017, Viewers choice award + Third Place Ribbon at the Benicia Plein Air paint-out, Benicia, CA
- 2017, Juried into Triton Statewide 2-D Salon, Santa Clara, CA
- 2016, Juried into California Watercolor Association, National Juried Exhibit, Pleasanton.
- 2016, Juried into Valley of Hearts show, Filoli Gardens, Woodside.
- 2015, Viewers choice award at the SCVWS Annual Member show.
- 2015, Second place award at the SCVWS Annual Member show.
- 2014, Lead & curated the Holiday Show of 30+ different artists and 8+ media at Gallery House, Palo Alto
- 2014, Choice, joint show at Gallery House, Palo Alto.
- 2014, L’Eau en Couleurs, International Watercolor Biennial, Belgium, a juried international exhibit.
- 2014, Watercolor USA, National Juried Exhibit in Springfield Missouri.
- 2013, Third place award at SCVWS Annual Member show.
- 2013, First professional solo show at Gallery House, Palo Alto
- 2012, First place award, Plein Air painting competition, SCVWS
- 2012, Juried into Think Small, Paint Big, Pacific Art League
- 2012, Juried into Gallery House, Palo Alto, the Bay Area’s oldest cooperative gallery.
- 2011, Awarded at the SCVWS Annual Member show.
- 2011, Silicon Valley Open Studio
- 2011, Missouri National Watercolor Exhibit, national juried exhibit.
- 2010, Triton Museums’s Statewide Watercolor competition and exhibition.
- 2010, Received a scholarship from Master painter Jerry Stitt, AWS, NWS, Summer 2010.
- 2017 July 27, Abstraction in Watercolors, Chicago
- 2016 East Valley Artists, San Jose, June 16
- 2014, Los Altos Art Club, June 9
- 2014, Talk Art, A Mid-Peninsula Community Studio production, interview and demonstration.
- 2013, Campbell Art Guild
- 2013, Silicon Valley Artist
- 2013, Gallery House, Palo Alto, March 30
- 2012, Los Altos Art Club, Sept 10
- 2017, three portraits included in the book Portrait Revolution, sold on Amazon.
- Review of painting Ana Nuevo Hike for Watercolor USA 2014 by Ms. J. Gardner for local newspapers of Springfield, MO
- Behind the Scenes: The Story of Unsung Sketches, a book on how to fit sketching in your busy lives and why. Contains sketches from Uma’s sketchbooks and shares her personal experiences.
- 2013, Featured artist for Downtown LA Life magazine, an online contemporary art publication.
- 2013, Mercury News, solo show reviewed by Ms. Bobby Zanardi.