Always relegated to being just a hobby, painting has achieved a pivotal role in my life since April 2009. It is my tool to having a balanced life – it rejuvenates and unwinds me. It lets me be among more sensitive and extraordinarily gifted people. But that’s all for me. With my paintings, I hope to share with you an emotion, a mood, a story which you – the onlooker – continue when you let your inward eye complete the picture.
When I am not painting or sketching, I am either watching art, playing with my kids, solving engineering problems, gardening, hiking or swimming.
- 2018, Nov 10-11, Gray Matter, SF – Tickets on sale Aug 30.
- 2018, Nov 3-4, Gray Matter, Austin, TX – spots are available.
- 2018, July 18-21, Gray Matter, USK International Symposium, Portugal
- 2018, June 20, Sketch walk at the Apple Union Square Store, SF
- 2018, June 1-3, Gray Matter, Chicago Sketch Seminar
- 2018, May 19, Landscapes, quickly! Milbrae, CA
- 2018, May 13, Landscapes, quickly! Milbrae, CA
- 2017, Nov 30, Sketch walk at the Apple Union Square Store, SF
- 2017, October 20-21, Blurred Lines: An extended version, San Francisco.
- 2017, September 22-23, Blurred Lines: An extended version, San Francisco.
- 2017, July 26 – 29, Blurred Lines: Atmospheric Watercolor Sketches With Edge Variety, USK International Symposium, Chicago
- 2017, May 13, Urban Landscape: How to do a quick capture.
- 2017, May 11-12, Urban Landscape: How to do a quick capture.
Awards & Exhibits:
- 2018, Second Place Ribbon at the Benicial Plein Air paint-out.
- 2017, Viewers choice award + Third Place Ribbon at the Benicia Plein Air paint-out, Benicia, CA
- 2017, Juried into Triton Statewide 2-D Salon, Santa Clara, CA
- 2016, Juried into California Watercolor Association, National Juried Exhibit, Pleasanton.
- 2016, Juried into Valley of Hearts show, Filoli Gardens, Woodside.
- 2015, Viewers choice award at the SCVWS Annual Member show.
- 2015, Second place award at the SCVWS Annual Member show.
- 2014, Lead & curated the Holiday Show of 30+ different artists and 8+ media at Gallery House, Palo Alto
- 2014, Choice, joint show at Gallery House, Palo Alto.
- 2014, L’Eau en Couleurs, International Watercolor Biennial, Belgium, a juried international exhibit.
- 2014, Watercolor USA, National Juried Exhibit in Springfield Missouri.
- 2013, Third place award at SCVWS Annual Member show.
- 2013, First professional solo show at Gallery House, Palo Alto
- 2012, First place award, Plein Air painting competition, SCVWS
- 2012, Juried into Think Small, Paint Big, Pacific Art League
- 2012, Juried into Gallery House, Palo Alto, the Bay Area’s oldest cooperative gallery.
- 2011, Awarded at the SCVWS Annual Member show.
- 2011, Silicon Valley Open Studio
- 2011, Missouri National Watercolor Exhibit, national juried exhibit.
- 2010, Triton Museums’s Statewide Watercolor competition and exhibition.
- 2010, Received a scholarship from Master painter Jerry Stitt, AWS, NWS, Summer 2010.
- 2017 July 27, Abstraction in Watercolors, Chicago
- 2016 East Valley Artists, San Jose, June 16
- 2014, Los Altos Art Club, June 9
- 2014, Talk Art, A Mid-Peninsula Community Studio production, interview and demonstration.
- 2013, Campbell Art Guild
- 2013, Silicon Valley Artist
- 2013, Gallery House, Palo Alto, March 30
- 2012, Los Altos Art Club, Sept 10
- 2017, Work included in 5 minute sketching: Landscape book, author: Virginia Hein, Publisher: Firefly books. Link to buy on Amazon.
- 2017, portraits included in Portrait Revolution author: Julia Kay, sold on Amazon.
- 2014, Behind the Scenes: The Story of Unsung Sketches, Uma’s first book on how to fit sketching in your busy lives and why. Contains sketches from her sketchbooks and shares her personal experiences.
Link to buy on Blurb
- 2013, Featured artist for Downtown LA Life magazine, an online contemporary art publication.
- 2013, Mercury News, solo show reviewed by Ms. Bobby Zanardi.
Education formal and otherwise:
Scholarship and tutelage from Master Painter Jerry Stitt, May 2010
Took my first watercolor workshop from watercolor guru, Mr. Alvaro Castagnet, April 2014 and 2016, followed by a week with Mr. Charles Reid in May 2015 and Mr. J. Zbukvic in September 2015.
Rest of the painting study is self motivated but highly influenced by the art I see and the scenes I come across.
Formal education- M.S. in Electrical Engineering, Stanford University