5 weeks, 7am Pacific, 10am Eastern
Tuesdays, May 2 – May 30, 2023
Always wanted to dabble in gouache?
Wanted to start basic but come out of class over a basic level?
Always wanted a class that gives you a week’s time to practice in between lectures?
Then this class is for you!
Using landscapes as a mode to convey concepts, in this course, you will learn how to-
- the features of gouache,
- create an easy to carry yet customizable gouache palette,
- learn about subtlety of color variation, i.e hue variation and value variation.
- paint a lot every week – there will be homework, and
- experiment on tablets and bring back the learnings to gouache practice.
* Only Lecture 4 employs digital painting. For those without tablets, a separate lecture will be held.
Half the fun in gouache is mixing colors.
Club that fun with the power of opacity and ability to cover any color with any other color, gouache unshackles those who were constrained by pure watercolors.
This course starts off with gouache color mixing, end ranges of values, then uses Procreate (digital painting, using a tablet) to study color variation and subtle hue shifts and then brings the learning back to gouache.
At the end of the class, you will have made:
- 30-50 thumbnails
- 1 x night scene in a 6″x6″ format + variations in homework
- 1 x sunny day scene in a 6″x6″ format + variations in homework
- 1 x scene of your choice
- Will have an idea of what you need to focus on to move the needle on your art practice.